How to Write an Opinion Essay
You will clearly get an idea of an opinion essay from the name itself. It is a type of essay in which the writer clearly presents his/her formed opinion supported by research, facts, evidence and logic. Through opinion essays, writers clearly demonstrate what they are and why they think it. Writing an opinion essay is a strenuous task for college and university students. If you are searching for amazing tips and tricks on how to write an opinion essay, then this blog is for you.
What is an opinion essay?
Students frequently inquire, “What is an opinion essay You don’t have to worry about it. You can easily understand this essay type by reading this blog.
It is a type of assignment assigned to students and it allows them to demonstrate their opinion with relevant examples, explanations, and facts. In an argumentative and persuasive essay, we provide counterpoints. On the other hand, in opinion essays, you have to focus on the opinion about addressing the topic or issue rather than focusing on the comparison. Students must be well-versed in being able to express their opinion/thoughts on any particular topic or issue. It is an important skill to have in the world. For example, you can find opinion essays in the Op-Ed section of the famous newspaper the New York Times. This newspaper has millions of readers and it has a serious impact on the way that people think.
What is the basic opinion essay structure?
If you are writing an opinion essay for the first time, then you must follow the basic structure recommended by our experts. The structure of an opinion essay is as follows:
This is the first paragraph of your opinion essay where you have to draw the attention of your readers. Start your essay introduction with a good hook. You can use a surprising fact or an unpopular opinion or share a story or just simply ask a hypothetical question.
The main body covers 2 to 3 paragraphs of the essay. In this section, you have to explain why you hold your opinion with relevant facts and anecdotes. Always use credible sources to strengthen your opinion. The main body does not only tell the reader what you think but also it must explain everything with strong evidence which led you to that opinion.
In this paragraph, you have to conclude your whole essay. It is the section where the readers can be reminded of your evidence and make your point.
Do’s and Don’ts for an opinion essay
First, we will talk about what to include in your opinion essay
- Form a clear opinion thesis. Make sure your opinion should be clear from the beginning of the essay.
- You can use a semi-formal tone in opinion essays because here you are writing about a personal topic. Keep your tone measured, semi formal that is not too casual as it will help to add more credibility to your point of view.
- Don’t ramble. Try to stick to the subject.
- Don’t use colloquial expressions.
- Don’t try to jumble the opinion in one paragraph as you have to cover the word limit of the essay.
- Don’t include internet slang such as OMG, LOL, LMAO and so on.
How to write an opinion essay?
Everybody has an opinion but how you convey them matters a lot. Here are a few tips to convey your opinion to the readers in a compelling way:
- Avoid beating around the bush: Always stick to the topic and never go off-topic. Make sure to write an opinion relevant to the assigned question.
- Conduct extensive research: Conduct in-depth research and find credible sources to back up your opinion. Make sure to provide correct and truthful information.
- Create an outline: Prepare an outline and note the points that seem most important and highlight them.
- Keep it short and concise: Keep it simple and concise. You must have seen the Op-Ed section of newspapers such as The Wall Street Journal. It is written short and sweet to make it appealing to the readers.
- Proofread: Proofreading is a must while writing an opinion essay. This step will help you to avoid any grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.
Opinion essays are different from other types of essays because the thesis in the opinion essay is based on the writer’s own point of view. You can excel in the art of writing an opinion essay by following the above-mentioned tips. If you are still struggling with writing opinion essays, then you can take assistance from Write My Essay services. These online assignment writing services will assist you to compose an incredible opinion essay within the deadline. The experts will craft a well-researched essay that is supported by credible information, facts and evidence.